The Nadalet Family

Welcome to our family, welcome to our blog. We are going to try and keep this current for those of you reading from afar (hey mom claire!) But we make no promises. And really, people don't want constant blog updates until there are kids. So in about 5 years this blog will really start going.

Please enjoy our sporadic posts on life as a married couple

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Home-made Bread

This Saturday I tried my hand at bread making. I found a recipe on Tammys blog and thought, hmmm that sounds tasty! The process was long, but definitely worth it. I didn't estimate my time right, and we needed to leave the house with 15 minutes left for the bread to cook. So I let it bake until the last possible minute, and then turned the oven off as we left, leaving the loaf in the oven. When we got home 4 hours later, it was done and delicious! Matt has been texting me about how much he loves it on his sandwiches! The mixture of regular and whole wheat flour was great. Next time I may try to make it more whole wheatier, but we will just have to wait and see.

And last night's dinner. If you remember the menu, it was supposed to be BBQ turkey burgers with fries and coleslaw. Well, it turned out a bit different than planned, but it was still tasty. First problem, I called Matt around 5, only to find he was eating leftover enchiladas! But that's for Wednesday I said, I have orientation that day and cannot cook! He forgot that we had the menu up, and was fending for himself because he thought I wasn't going to be home until late, and we both had Bible study. Thankfully, there are still 4 or 5 enchiladas left, and he said he would just eat 2 dinners (yes, he does have a large appetite). The coleslaw turned out tasty (cabbage and green onions in ranch / mayo and parsley and cilantro) and the burgers looked like they might be good. The recipe called for 2 lbs of meat, and i was using 1.3 lbs. But I didn't think about that and put in the same amount of BBQ sauce and cheese and green onions that the recipe called for. I realized, as I was forming the patties, that they would probably not stick together. I tried really hard to keep them in patty shape, on the skillet, but it just wasn't working. So I turned them into Turkey sloppy joes and they were great. Matt loved them (and got over the intial shock that it was turkey and not chicken!). And we have decided to work on planning the menu together, he would like to have more input!

No comments: