The Nadalet Family

Welcome to our family, welcome to our blog. We are going to try and keep this current for those of you reading from afar (hey mom claire!) But we make no promises. And really, people don't want constant blog updates until there are kids. So in about 5 years this blog will really start going.

Please enjoy our sporadic posts on life as a married couple

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Disney and the Bible

In Praxis we are going through the book of James. My wonderful husband wrote the study. I am not actually in a Bible study anymore, but doing it on my own, and doing a different study with Mel. I digress, last week I made a connection to a Disney movie. I was pretty excited about it. So I thought I would share it here.

James 2:1-4
1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Now, I want you to remember Beauty and the Beast. Do you remember the beginning scene? The history of the beast? Well there is a beautiful woman who comes by and he talks to her and blah blah. Then later, and old hag comes to his door asking for food and he rejects her, telling her to leave. Well that hag turns back into the beautiful maiden and curses Beast for his inability to see inside the person, for just judging by her looks. That's how he turns into the Beast (from a prince). This relates to the verses above, we are not supposed to show favoritism [or judge] people by outward appearances. We are supposed to love all equally. so next time you think about judging someone by the appearance, think about turning into a beast! haha But really, I thought this was a cool little representation of the Scripture. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Claire Koenig said...

I have found myself judging by the outward appearance alot in my life. Sometimes it is justified ... I saw a rather strange looking woman in church a few weeks ago who had almost no hair, and was really small and skinny. She came in late and sat near me so after church I greeted her. She was a bit different. Started telling me how she'd been poisoned because of where she was living in the Southern California Desert... but it was probably closer to Boron than Redlands! She had taken a shower at church to get something off her skin and hair. Her hand was like lizard skin or something when I shook it. Then she asked Mama if she knew anybody that didn't have dogs or cats that she could stay with for awhile because she's allargic. Fortunately Mama did not offer her a place to stay. But yeah. I was pleased that I didn't just turn away from her and speak to somebody better looking!

I could put much deeper thoughts about this on the blog, but I'm recovering from a fall ...

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

So yup, Beauty in the Beast if my favorite Disney movie and yay for making the connection haha...